Friday 7 December 2012

Feeling festive?

I will openly admit, in recent years, I have become a bit of a scrooge when it comes to Christmas.  I love Christmas, I just don't like the build up to it.  I can not stand that we have to endure advertisements for it from about early August.  Literally kids have not even gone back to school and it's like 'Order your turkey now in time for Christmas!'  I should hope it would be bloody in time for Christmas,  Halloween hasn't even been by that point, come on!

It is at this time of year where the chill in the air only really motivates you to curl up on the sofa in front of a roaring fire and snuggle up to a loved one, be it your partner, family member, flatmate or your new fleecy reindeer hot water bottle(!)  Why is it then, that University's and institutions decide that it is also at this time of year where you will have main assessments and exams?!  Boo hiss boo.  Of course it does make sense within terms of the calendar year and all that, but I'm convinced evolutionarily, that we are meant to go into a state of hibernation.  Which by today's standards, means a mulled wine and Christmas stuffing coma.  Yummy.  

Max guarding the tree and presents! :-)
I hadn't really been feeling Christmassy at all until today.  Maybe it was the soothing classical music of carols that permeated the air in Starbucks whilst I was enjoying my cinnamon topped Chai? Or maybe it was finally caving and buying myself an advent calendar after not receiving one in the post as of yet?...not that I'm bitter or anything(!)  Or maybe it was the crude yet delightfully 'naughty but nice' display in the Ann Summers front window?  Who knew Santa could be that sexy?! Nevertheless, I'm really getting into the spirit now!  I'm so excited to go back to the Cotswolds and see all my friends from home, catch up on everybody's life stories with a glass or two of wine, as well as forcing my dog to wear his novelty reindeer antlers-cruel I know, but he looks SO cute!

I really hope you all have a good break from whatever it is you're doing and make the effort to spend some quality time with your families or loved ones. Recent events for me personally have taught me to never take them for granted...even if it's hard to thank your grandma for the thousandth time due to her short term memory loss for the lovely woollen socks she got you, which in fairness are some of my favourite gifts now! I love getting a good pair of posh socks...what the hell is happening to me?!

Love and festive cheer to all.


xxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment