Sunday 13 January 2013

Film Review: Les Misérables

As predicted, the opening night of the eagerly anticipated Les Mis was absolutely packed to the rafters in my local cinema.

People were just about hurdling over one another to queue for last minute popcorn and refreshments before what was promised as a fairly lengthy film ahead.  2hours and 32 minutes without credits...hey at least it's no Lord of the Rings!


The movie is made up of 50 songs, this is including one that was created especially for Hugh Jackman upon his first meeting with the young Cosette, played by the oh so talented Isabelle Allen.  This may sound like a lot, but they all seem to link seamlessly into one another and help with the tempo of the movie.  I did overhear one person upon leaving the screen saying 'God! I didn't realise it was ALL going to be singing?!' followed by a smart comment from his wife, 'Well, it is a musical darling!'  So before you go lads, beware...yes, it is ALL singing, BUT there are a fair few explosions and gore(!)  Now we start to get a picture as to why it needs to be as lengthy as it is, we've got to keep the hardcore musical fans happy now don't we?!


Another reason that they should be happy is the fact that all of the music was performed totally live, what a feat!  So no need for any dodgy lip syncing and I think that most of the actors would agree it is much easier to sing with the raw emotion that is required when you are in character on set and not in a recording studio hooked up to countless cables.  This attribute of raw emotion really shines through and in my opinion gives it the goosebumps factor.  This feature can not be thought of without conjuring up the image of Anne Hathaway's scene when she has encountered her first experience as a prostitute.  'I dreamed a dream' holds so much sorrow due to the very true and believable performance that Anne brings to the film.


I did experience a minor disappointment however in viewing Anne Hathaway's section, but it had nothing to do with her ability as a performer.  A rumour was started that she would be having her hair cut off in complete silence for the movie to give dramatic emphasis.  In an interview Anne states that:


'What you see on screen was a little bit of a mixture of my real emotion and acting. We were wearing earpieces, so the song ends and I was going to have my hair cut in total silence, which was unbearble.'



I wanted this silence but it wasn't there!!  There was still music filtering through in the background.

Despite this teeny disappointment, I found I was absolutely emotionally engrossed with all of the characters, and even shed a tear or a few right there publicly in the cinema...which if you know me, is not easily done!  Having doing all of the songs in my singing lessons at school and university, I found myself mouthing along to all of the words.


My favourite performance of the whole film was actually Eddie Redmayne's take on 'Empty Chairs..', simply mesmerising, he believes every word he is saying.   


I absolutely loved it and would see it over and over again.  I highly recommend you see this, you will not regret it.  I'm giving it 5 stars!


   

No comments:

Post a Comment